Friday, October 10, 2008

It's a hard life

So, I'm just sitting in a hammock, looking out at a beautiful day. I moved in with the guys yesterday on the other island. By "moved in" i mean i brought my two bags over on a boat taxi. It was the fastest, easiest move I've ever made. This place lacks a/c, but the fact that I'm not living alone now, along with the view that i'm looking at right now more than make up for it. I think while you're at work/school/being productive, I'm going to go into town and buy myself a hammock and relax for the rest of the day. I may take the short walk down to the pickled parrot, a restaurant/bar on the island, and grab myself a giant burger and a couple cold ones. Bohmfalks is still closed, and I'm on another island anyway, so it's time to move on. Plus, the owner of the pickled parrot Jorge, is an american. He came into the restaurant the other day while I was working and recognized me. We were just about closed, and when I got off work, he bought me a few drinks. He's had a super interesting life, and I'm looking forward to hanging out at his place.

This island, Carenero, is significantly smaller than the other one. There aren't any cars on this island, there aren't any roads and you could easily walk around the whole place in about an hour. Did I mention that the views are beautiful? Starfish, stingrays, crabs...this place is awesome.

On the negative side, the chitras here are absolutely ferocious. I mean, they're so thick it looks like fur when they land on you. We picked up this soap stuff at the store that your rub to keep the bugs away. It's like a brick of solid off and it works like magic. I haven't even seen a bug since I put this stuff on.

Tomorrow, I'm going spear fishing with the chef from the restaurant, Juan. He's meeting me at my new house at 8 am manaƱa and we're going to spear us some fish. Then, he's gonna fry 'em up and work his magic and I'm going to eat a magnificent meal. And then, as if it couldn't get any better, I'm going to watch Texas beat the jesus out of Oklahoma. Tomorrow will indeed be a good day. Sorry you're at work or school. Get over it.

adios

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

check these guys out...my dads old friends http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=117052346