Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I am alive. I'm aware that it's been several weeks since my last little blurb on here, and for that, loyal fans, i am sorry. But the bottom line is that I am still breathing and still going strong here in beautiful bocas del toro.

The reason I haven't really updated much is that not a lot had really been going on around here. It was pretty slow up until about a week ago when the excrement hit the proverbial fan at los balcones. As you know, I have been waiting tables there when we're lucky enough to have a few customers, which was quite rare. Anyway, it caught up to us and the place is pretty much going under. Going under in that it's pretty much bankrupt. Gabriel, the owner, isn't even around anymore since his wife had a baby a few weeks ago and they're living in David, a city about four hours away. So he comes in a few days a week to check up on the place and fret over the lack of money the place is bringing in. So, the place has been pretty damn slow. I mean slow. There were a few nights in which we served absolutely no food. None. No customers. Not a good thing. And yet, i'm still there, technically working, making my $2 an hour the easy way. I went through a few good books at work. So, the lack of customers and the payroll didn't mix well, and eventually, Gabriel had to let one of the cooks go. Miguel was his name. I was teaching him english and he was so nice and happy all the time that it was really hard to see him go. With his departure, there were something like 6 workers left. Payday came and went without so much as the promise of a payment. Moods soured and it became apparent that this ship was going down. Fast. I continued to work like the busy little bee that I am; gave me a good chance to catch up on my reading and napping and spanish practicing. A week passed, again with no money. Juan told me that he was going to quit, and it became apparent that I should probably consider the same course of action, after I get my money. Gabriel kept giving me later dates, promising to pay the next day or the next week or whatever and eventually, I went on strike. I called in and said, hey, um, i'm not going to work again until I get paid, so, yeah. Gabriel apologized profusely and swore he'd have the money the next day. So when that day rolled around, i went into work to get my money and continue to wait tables. How naive I was. I got there and wasn't going to set any tables or do any real work until I got my money, so I chilled out in the kitchen with Juan and Rosanna. Eventually, Gabriel comes in and asks if he can meet with me in the office. Moment of truth. In the office, he tells me he's really sorry and he's in a lot of debt, you know...the whole sob story forgive me type thing. I told him it was cool, i understand or whatever, I just want my money. It's just business, nothing personal, I just want my money. He showed me a little sheet with my hours or whatever and what he thought he owed me. It was about ten bucks more than what I thought i was owed, so I was alllllll for it. Then the bombshell came crashing into the office. "I'm really sorry man, but I don't have all of the money right now. I can give you about 80 bucks." Not cool. I had waited almost two weeks to get my money, and now this guy wants to tell me that he only has half of it? No, not going to happen. "Hey Gabe, that's not really going to be good enough. You're already two weeks late, I need all my money or I'm not going to be able to work anymore." Stern, yet amiable. I stood my ground. Then, the dirty rat said "yeah, man, you're right. You're a hard worker. I'll give you all your money." He reaches into his wallet and pulls out the remainder of my dough. I was incredulous. Did he really think that he could get away with just stiffing me half my pay? Did he tell me his tragic tale of debt so I wouldn't be surprised when he didn't have all my money? I wasn't hitting him up for a large sum of money. I wasn't going to break his kneecaps, yet. So after he paid me, he told me he can't afford to make payroll anymore and he'd have to let me go and how much it hurt him because I'm such a hard worker or whatever. So now I'm on an on-call basis over there and if they need me, they'll give me a call. They haven't called yet. I don't anticipate that they will, since last I heard there's not even a kitchen staff anymore. Just marisol making drinks for hotel guests and whatever gringos pull up in their boats. So it goes.

what else what else what else?

Joe's monkey pet stole my panama cell phone. Yes, this is a true story.

I was sleeping on the futon in my living room, and Joes pet monkey came in and was hanging out around me sleepy body. He was going through my pockets and I'm pretty sure he ran off with my cellular phone. It's pretty much par for the course, according to joe. The monkey takes things, hides them, and occasionally they're never seen again. I was pretty sure it would turn up at some point so I waited a few days before I broke down and bought a new one. Only in panama.

Other than those two more or less amusing anecdotes it's been pretty slow down here. My life is pretty much beach, sun, eat, sleep repeat. Sounds tough, huh? Actually, it's been a really cool experience so far, and I'm really enjoying it. I've seen a lot of cool things, met a lot of cool people and am going to have a really hard time leaving this place. It has most definitely been a learning experience and I feel like I've changed, even in a minor way, for the better.

One last thing, I almost forgot to mention. I went swimming a few nights ago after it got dark. I was having a good time, just splashing around, chilling out, when I noticed something in the water. It looked like bubbles were flowing off of my hands as I treaded water. Upon closer inspection, I realized that it was not, in fact, bubbles, but something glowing under the water. It was phosphorescent algae, which is, gasp, a type of algae that glows when it's been disturbed. So, naturally, swimming disturbs them and causes them to blow up like cheap fireworks. It's probably the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. It's like swimming in a sea of green sparks. It's just one of those things that I never knew existed and now I can't forget. That's pretty much the story of my trip.


Once again, loyal reader, I am sorry it has taken me so much time to post here. It's not because I'm mad at you, I promise.


adios

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nyssa said...

I didn't know we could comment!