Saturday, September 27, 2008

something pink

Hello loyal followers, I am still alive. I know you've been on the edge of your seats, constantly refreshing this page, hoping to calm your insatiable appetite for my wonderful updates and insightful musings. Fear not! For I have returned.

Anyway, today marks my 7th day in Bocas and my 497th sand fly bite. Those damn things are relentless, they're like the terminator and I'm sarah connor. And they're elusive like leprechauns, i haven't been able to get a picture of one because i've been too busy wincing with pain when they find me and dig in.
If you're interested, you can read more on wikipedia:
I'm a hyperlink!

Since my last entry, I found a new place to live. The Blakers (no picture of them yet either. They're less elusive than sand flies but have better camoflauge) kinda broke it to me in a roundabout way that Jacy wanted her place back to herself, which is understandable. I'm the eager up-and-comer with the eye of tiger who just kind of fell into her house. I'd want my space back too. So i found a place a little further down the road in a newish condo. I found an ad in the paper advertising a 1 bedroom unit and a 2 bedroom unit so i gave it a shot, hoping that i could find a roommate to split the cost. When i got here, i was told by the landlord/person in charge that the two was the only one available but she'd be able to give it to me for the cost of the one bedroom place. So, I was like, hells yeah, and she was like, ohmigod, and the deal was done. I've been in here for three days i think, and I have wireless internet and nice little balcony that looks right out onto the beach and some power lines. Also, there's AIR CONDITIONING. Really, this was a major selling point. How did people get by without the wonders of a/c? It's magical.

Here's some shots of the place where i'm living:
DSC00324
I'm on the second floor. If you look closely, you can actually see me sitting on the balcony.

Here's my view
DSC00308
I just realized that this is really a shitty picture, but my view isn't that bad. You can't tell where the ocean ends and the sky begins so it's hard to get a sense of perspective. Also I was lying about being on the balcony in that other picture.

I've been making the short walk down to the beach for the past few days now. The beach in front of my house is called Playa El Istmito or Playa CabaƱa, but I have no idea why. It's a beach anyway.
DSC00321
There's a little black speck near the waterline on the left side of the picture. That was an old man who was speedwalking along the beach singing "who do you love?" over and over and over. And not just singing it, he was belting it out. He was proud. I could hear him all the way down the beach and it made me smile. "You sir. I love you."

DSC00322
believe it or not, this is another picture of the beach, but in the opposite direction. I know, this is heavy stuff. You can sit down if you need to.

DSC00319
This picture was originally meant to show how clear the water is, but I've decided that it's a great opportunity to show off my tan lines, which i will now call my racing stripes.



In mobility news, my bike still isn't ready. Junior, the bike man, may be dead and my bike may never be finished. Every time I go to his house to pick it up, I'm told it'll be a few more hours or one more day. Yesterday he told me it'd be noon today, but at noon he told me that he didn't work in the morning and it would be ready at 5. I did get a good look at the bike that he's building me. For some reason, probably because I keep bothering him, he's building me the brightest pink bike I've ever seen. It looks like something Elton John might have sold at a garage sale, but with less rhinestones. I planned on painting it black but when I went by to pick it up today, I asked him if he'd do it since it wasn't finished yet. Of course, he said yes, and now it'll probably be another week before it's ready.

I played the drums last night at Bahmfalks, a bar in bocas town. There was a guy playing guitar in the corner and the owner, Bill Bahmfalk, was talking about how he couldn't play drums but he wanted to jam. So, I interjected and told him that I have been know to eat beat drums occasionally. After the presidential debate was over we jammed for about a half hour. I got to talking to the guitar player, and it turned out that he's from florida and he lives in Bocas. He gave me the phone number for a restaurant that is opening tonight and needed waiters so I gave 'em a call today. I start tonight at 4.


Well, that's about it for now. I'm off to find a way to watch college football.

adios

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Geez, why do you have to make Junior's job harder than it already is?-Plus pink is more your shade. So when can I expect a "Ladies of the Bocas" article?

jj said...

The hardest part of juniors job is coming up with excuses.